Robert Neville Jr. was executed Wednesday night for the 1998 torture and murder of a 19-year-old mentally impaired woman he had previously worked with at a grocery store in Arlington.

During his final statement, Neville repeatedly asked Amy Robinson’s family for forgiveness. Amy’s mother, Tina Robinson, witnessed the execution along with Amy’s sisters, Ruth Blake and Amanda Robinson.

“I hope you can find it in yourselves to forgive me, and I hope all this here will kind of settle your pain. And I hope the Lord will give you comfort and peace. I just want you to know I am very sorry for what I have done,” he said.

Referring to Amy Robinson, Neville, said, “If I see Amy on the other side, I will tell her how much you love and miss her. I’ve got a lot of stuff I want to tell her myself.”

Neville then shifted his focus toward his parents who were watching from the other witness room.

“I am sorry for putting you through all this pain and stuff,” he said. “I love you all and I will see you on the other side.”

Seven minutes later, and 6:19 p.m., he was pronounced dead.

Neville and a companion, Michael Wayne Hall, were condemned for the fatal shooting of Robinson, who was abducted as she rode her bike to work at a Dallas-area supermarket. She was taken to a remote area of Tarrant County where she was shot repeatedly with a pellet gun, then killed with shots from a .22-caliber rifle as she begged for her life.

Hall, 26, remains on death row. He does not have an execution date.

Tina Robinson said Wednesday’s execution did not bring closure to eight years of pain, but it was the first time she felt she was headed in that direction.

“We’re really glad we came,” Tina said while seated with her daughters at a press conference. “What we really wanted was an apology, and we got that. I feel like this is a victory for Amy. We’re really relieved.

“I think he really felt bad for what he did, even though it’s not going to bring Amy back.”

Neville and Hall were arrested about two weeks after Robinson was reported missing. They were stopped at a customs checkpoint near Eagle Pass as they were trying to cross into Mexico. They told authorities they could find Robinson’s body in a grassy field in the Trinity River bottoms just north of Arlington.

Robinson suffered from a genetic disorder, Turner’s syndrome, a rare chromosome disorder found only in women and characterized by short stature and lack of sexual development at puberty.

Prosecutors described her as “easy prey,” which is how Neville and Hall, days after their arrest, characterized their victim as they spoke with reporters and laughed about how Robinson died as she pleaded to live.

The pair had worked with her at an Arlington Kroger store before they were fired and knew the route she took as she rode her bike to work. When they offered her a ride, she accepted.

“We had a bet going to see who could shoot and kill the most people between the two of us,” Neville told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram two weeks after his arrest, explaining that he and Hall wanted to become serial killers whose victims were racial minorities. “No matter if it was blacks or Mexicans — anybody as long as they weren’t our color.”

Robinson was part Native American.

Neville declined to speak with reporters in the weeks before his scheduled execution.

Trending Video