By Matthew Jackson
The Wynne Home Arts Center is now taking registrations for its fall 2010 schedule of classes set to be held from Oct. 18 through Dec. 5.
The fall semester offers more than 20 classes in various fields, including painting, photography, dance, fabric art and film.
The selection also includes several new classes, among them a pilates class from frequent Wynne Home instructor Molly Campbell.
“Molly Campbell, who’s taught painting for us before, is also a dancer and a pilates instructor,” Wynne Home Director Linda Pease said. “So she’s agreed to come and teach pilates for us.”
The new classes also include a beginner’s ballroom dancing course taught by Stevie Mellado, a Sam Houston State University student who has studied at the Arthur Murray Dance Studio.
“She’s planning to do a whole bunch of different styles of dance in her class,” said Amanda Howell, the Wynne Home’s fall intern and class organizer. “She wants to make it a studio quality class without the studio price.”
Most classes have a limited enrollment, and registrations are accepted on a first come, first served basis. A limited number of scholarships are available for students who are unable to pay class fees. For more information call the Wynne Home at (936) 291-5424.
The complete schedule of classes is as follows:
? Drawing, Oct. 19-Nov. 16, 6-8 p.m. Instructor: George Boone. Ages: Teens and Adults. Fee: $35. Size limit: 10.
An introductory drawing class teaching basic techniques with still ife subjects.
• Beginning Knitting, Oct. 19 through Nov. 16, 6-8 p.m. Instructor: Tamara Chasteen. Ages: 10 and up. Fee $20. Size limit: 10
An overview of basic knitting techniques for all experience levels.
• Mommy and Me I, Oct. 20 through Nov. 17, 9:15-10 a.m. Instructor: Tonia Brown Ages: 3-4 Fee: $18 Size Limit: 5 students and 5 parents.
This five week course is designed to introduce young children to art through a variety of materials. Students and parents will each create their own works of art.
• Mommy and Me II, Oct. 20 through Nov. 17, 10:15-11 a.m. Instructor: Tonia Brown. Ages: 4-6. Fee: $15. Size limit: 5 students and 5 parents.
• Oil Painting, Oct. 20 through Nov. 17, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Ages: 14 and up. Fee: $35. Size Limit: 8. Instructor: Lee Jamison.
Professional artist Lee Jamison will instruct students from all experience levels in the techniques of oil painting.
• Jewelry Making with Bead Weaving Techniques, Oct. 20 through Nov. 17, 6-8 p.m. Ages: 10 and up. Fee: $20. Instructor: Tamara Chasteen. Size Limit: 10.
This course covers a variety of jewelry making techniques to produce rings, bracelets, book marks, belts and more.
• Photography, Oct. 20-Nov. 17, 6-8 p.m. Instructor: Paul Olle. Ages: Teens and Adults. Fee: $20. Size limit: 15 students.
This course, for non-professional photographers, will cover a variety of camera techniques for beginners.
• Masters of Comedy Film Series, Oct. 21 through Nov. 18, 7 p.m. Instructor: Matthew Jackson. Ages: 13 and up. No Fee. Size limit: none.
Huntsville Item film critic Matthew Jackson will take viewers through five of his favorite comedies. Oct. 21: The Marx Brothers in “Duck Soup.” Oct. 28: Mel Brooks’ “Young Frankenstein.” Nov. 4: “Monty Python and the Holy Grail.” Nov. 11: Woody Allen’s “Annie Hall.” Nov. 18: The Beatles in “A Hard Day’s Night.”
• Pilates, Oct. 21 through Nov. 18, 10-11 a.m. Ages: Teens and Adults. Size Limit: 10 Fee: $15. Instructor: Molly Campbell.
Instructor Molly Campbell will teach the basics of pilates, an exercise method designed to promote core strength and improved health.
• Acrylic Painting and Collage, Oct. 21 through Nov. 18, 4-6 p.m. Ages: 10 and up. Fee: $20. Size Limit: 10. Instructor: Betsy Maloney.
Students will learn the basics of acrylic painting and collage theory.
• Hand-Building Pottery Techniques I, Oct. 21 through Nov. 18, 4-5:30 p.m. Ages: 10 and up. Fee: $25. Instructor: Tamara Chasteen
Students will learn the basics of pottery hand and coil building techniques.
• Hand-Building Pottery II, Oct. 21 through Nov. 18, 6:30-8 p.m. Ages: 16 and up. Fee: $25. Instructor: Tamara Chasteen. Size limit: 10 students.
• Beginner Ballroom Dancing, Oct. 22 through Nov. 19, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Ages: 10 and up. Fee: $15. Instructor: Stevie Mellado. Limit: 12 students.
The class will cover partner dances including waltz, foxtrot, swing, cha-cha, salsa and more. No experience required.
• Ceramics Open Studio, Oct. 17 through Dec. 15, 3-6 p.m. Ages: Adults and children accompanied by adults. Fee: $5 for studio use and $5 for 3 pounds of clay. Instructors: Amy Blonn and Justin Meyers.
Instructors will be on hand to assists students in various ceramics projects of their choosing.
• Basic Baskets, Oct. 23, 10 a.m. to 1p.m. Ages: 10 and up. Fee: $15. Instructor: Tamara Chasteen. Size Limit: 10.
Participants will create a basic basket with a wooden base.
• Folded Star Pot Holders, Oct. 24, 3-5 p.m. Ages: 10 and up. Size Limit: 10. Fee: dedicate time to assisting in “Huntsville Handmade Holiday” on Nov. 20. Instructor: Tamara Chasteen
Students will create round pot holders made through layers folded circles.
• Round Spoked Baskets, Oct. 30, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Ages: 10 and up. Fee: $15 Size limit: 10. Instructor: Tamara Chasteen.
Students will make a round basket with a woven bottom.
• Magic Rope and Blue Jean Bags, Oct. 30, 3-5 p.m. Ages: 10 and up. Limit: 10. Fee: dedicate time to assisting in “Huntsville Handmade Holiday” on Nov. 20. Instructor Tamara Chasteen.
Students will make cotton yarn rope which will then used to make handles for blue jean bags. Students will be asked to bring an old pair of blue jeans to make their bags.
• Kumihimo, Nov. 7, 3-5 p.m. Ages 10 and up. Fee: participation in “Huntsville Handmade Holiday.” Size Limit: 10. Instructor: Tamara Chasteen.
Students will learn the Japanese cord braiding technique of Kumihimo to make lanyards, bracelets and more.
• Marbling, Nov. 13, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Ages: 12 and up. Fee: $100. Limit: 12. Instructor: Tamara Chasteen.
Students will create 4 silk scarves using the marbling printing technique. Students should wear old clothes and/or an apron.
•Crochet Origami Pot Holders, Nov. 14, 3-5 p.m. Ages: 10 and up. Fee: participation in “Huntsville Handmade Holiday.” Limit: 10. Instructor: Tamara Chasteen.
Participants will crochet a pot holder that folds back on itself as the work progresses. No prior crochet experience necessary.